[intro-text size=”25px”]We are the Champions my friend, and we have been for a while.[/intro-text]
The Cleveland Cavaliers are gearing up to make their second NBA finals appearance in franchise history, and we’re all hopeful that they’ll be able to bring our city its long-awaited championship. Regardless of the outcome, it’s safe to say that we’re all proud of what we accomplished in the first year of our new big three. But Cleveland already boasts a barrage of champions.
Yes, that’s right—we have champions. We’ve acquired them over all of the years of excruciating pain and agony because we needed something to bow our heads to. “The Mistake by the Lake,” “The permanent gray cloud,” “The Burning River”—you can throw em’ all at us, but ask any Clevelander and they’ll give you a reason why they’re proud to call this beautiful land home. So without further ado, here is our list of Cleveland Champions, in no particular order.
- Ilthy – Glen Infante’s fantastic art mashes Cleveland pop culture and sports into an eclectic collection of proud-to-be-Cleveland apparel and print. Walk the streets and you’re bound to see “Cleveland Against The World” on someone’s back.
- Tom Hamilton – I think we’ve all had our fair share of favorite Tommy H. calls over the years while listening to our beloved Tribe, and it’s safe to say just about anything those golden pipes belt on the radio has to be taken for truth.
- Great Lakes Brewing Company – the Conway brothers opened the doors to fantastic craft brewing in Ohio and paved the way for the exciting beer scene we’re experiencing now. Cheers to beers!
- Cleveland Metroparks – From winding paths through luscious forests to the unforgettable Lake Erie Sunsets, it’s hard to beat such an amazing set of parks so close to a major city.
- Melt Bar and Grilled – Matt Fish gave us some of the most fantastic grilled cheese sandwiches any food guru would drool over, and his innovative and alternative look at how we cater the streets of Cleveland has led to many more great dives and restaurants in our area.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum – Just to say that we house collections of the greatest music legends to ever grab a guitar or mic is an honor in and of itself, plus when people ask “What the hell is in Cleveland anyways?” we always have the Rock Hall to fall back on.
- The West Side Market – Dead goats strung up, their eyeballs hanging from the socket, fresh fruit and vegetables, freshly baked bread, and of course those incredible gyros—the market has remained a Cleveland staple for over 100 years and we don’t see them closing shop anytime soon.
- Superman – You might be a Batman fan, so fuck you. But either way, the most iconic superhero ever to be created was fashioned right here in Cleveland. Who wouldn’t want laser beam eyes?
- The Cleveland Steamer – We’re not all that proud of this one, but at least it has our namesake.
- Jim Brown – Of course we didn’t forget about the last guy to deliver us a championship and arguably the greatest running back of all time. Hopefully the Cavs can channel the energy our great city had on that fateful day in 1964 and bring us the title we can hang high for at least another 51 years.